Skip to main content

8/21: Winding down...

Hi GUYS!

Things are still incredible on the east side, but Mattie and I are starting to feel a little sad as summer starts to wind down. The aspens near the mouth of Lundy Canyon are already starting to change, and the recent cold storms blowing through the Mono Basin are reminding us that fall is on its way and soon we'll be heading back to the coast...and work. 

But FIRST - more fun in the mountains!

My most loyal followers (cough. ha.) will remember Mike from last year's backpacking adventures out of Mammoth Lakes and through McGee Creek. He's one of our beautiful/hilarious/heartwarming buddies. It was his first night back in California and the start to his 4 month road trip adventures, which kind of deserved some kind of celebration. So after a Shoot From the Hip in downtown Truckee the first night he rolled in, we hung out under the stars and listened to music in a perfect meadow off Highway 89. 


Mike rolls into California (no, we didn't drink all of those). 

The next day we did a North Lake Tahoe tour, hitting our new favorite cove (thanks Ryan!!!), eating at T's (thanks Ryan!!!), playing Bocce and swimming at a quiet little beach south of Kings Beach, checking out the fire lookout off the 267 and doing a few walks for views along the TRT, heading to Squaw to meet some of Mike's buddies (and to get my first Shifter) at the Cornice Cantina, and ending the night at the Bridgetender with awesome food and beers. 

The elusive Campanelli, looking out over the lake.
 Then we had a day of high-fashion...

How many times do I have to tell you guys that FASHION IS IMPORTANT IN THE MOUNTAINS!?
During the week we did some bouldering around Donner with Greg. This guy is incredible. Did you know that you can climb with only your pinkies and knees? NEITHER DID I. Anyway, Greg was nice enough to take some pictures of me climbing (even though I complained about it a lot). So here's me on a little fun pinchy/crimpy one on the Shadow Boulder.

I'm a big fan of this rock.

Makin' friends with the locals. 
Then we headed east toward Reno, I finally met the LEGENDARY BRUCE at REI, and we talked and laughed and teared up about Joey Puccio and he was everything I hoped he'd be. 

The next few days I ate at the Stone House Cafe (IT'S THE BEST) way too many times, drank too many beers, and tried to wear high heels (it didn't go very well). It was weird. And awesome.

Last weekend Greg and I camped at the Washoe Boulders under smokey, cloudy skies, did a few fun problems and tore the crap out of our fingers. Here are some pictures about it.

Greg and me at the Washoe Boulders.
Milo sends!
How it is, all the time. My little heartbeat. 
And then, after too long away, we headed south on the 395 and came back to what feels like home in the Mono Basin. After an amazing dinner at the Mono Inn with Mary, Elin and Stella, Mattie and I fell asleep in our favorite windowed room overlooking the lake at Chateau Ljung. We slept hard and woke with the bright butter moon lighting up the room, so worked a little in the night and slept in. Yesterday we watched soccer while prepping for courses (that's sneaking up quick), found artifacts in the sagebrush while a thunderstorm pounded the mountains west, had a delicious pasta dinner with John and Mary, saw a bobcat hunting quail right in the backyard...and then watched more soccer until we were tired and totally worn out and ready for more sleep.

It feels good being back here. And last night, it was like this: 

Last night. Looking south from Mono City.
As always, HUGE thanks to John and Mary for taking care of us while we're up here...for letting us shower, keeping us out of rainstorms, feeding us delicious meals, recording EPL games on the big screen, and just generally being the most generous, wonderful Sierra foster parents a girl and her dog could ask for. THANK YOU.

Today, we're off to do some schoolwork and run a few errands in Bishop before meeting MOM AND DAD for the night before they head out on their 11 day backpacking trip out of Pine Creek Pass! It's gonna be a party at the trailhead, and I can't wait.

It's been 10 weeks since we left Santa Barbara, and we have a few weeks left. We miss the cabin. We miss our friends dearly. But leaving here at the end of this summer is going to be pretty rough.


With so much Sierra love from Mono City,

Allison and Mattie the Archaeology Dog

Comments

  1. Your doje is a vicious killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, really, I mean it, that thing bit me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND you should have seen the look in its eyes when it sunk its fangs into me... sheer blood lust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A moose once bit my sister...

    Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those eyes still haunt me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Terriers are natural born KILLERS"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see that people are trying to dismiss my near death experience with your doje. I can honestly say that I have never been more terrified (TERRIERFIED)in my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean this wasn't some wimpy little moose we're talkin' about here....

    It's got huge sharp...

    It can leap about....

    Look at the bones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yallison! Good good post, great great friend. Glad to see the Campanellis still run wild and free. Has school begun yet?

    MZ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment