Hey everybody! ESPECIALLY a big shout out to Dawn In Recovery and the At-Home Medical Team of Kevin and Cats! We hope you're all doing well down there and feeling better all the time!
It's been such a great week at the cabin. It's been hot but beautiful, quiet, productive, and I'm quickly reminded of why I love this little shack in the woods so dang much. It's just such a fantasyland.
Orientation for the incoming Master's students started last week, and with it the annual calculus review workshop. SEVEN DAYS of intensive calculus. It's super fun, I love teaching it, it gets my brain all revved up before the real quarter starts, and is just kind of a great start to each year. The real deal starts next week with stats, and I'll be fearlessly (ha!) leading 85 new students through the course for 10 weeks. It's pretty exciting stuff, and Mattie and I are almost ready for it!
Otherwise, lots of progress on some really cool cabin and/or crafty stuff.
The bathroom crappy vinyl tiles are almost completely out (yaaay asbestos removal -- don't worry, I got a mask), we've been doing a little more cement repair work, the new tiles and pedestal sink arrived (who knew faucets were so expensive? wtf.), we're all ready to put the new toilet, and tomorrow I'm staining 55 gigantic 16' knotty pine planks so they're ready for wall installation next week. It's been mostly fun and just a little stressful trying to figure it all out.
Also, after probably 10 hours of scrubbing, the beautiful clawfoot tub is becoming awesome again. Not quite done, but it's getting close. You might be able to tell which is the Before picture. It's gonna be gorgeous again and I'm having a great time bringing it back to life. Plus, the drain from the washer machine isn't going to be running straight into it anymore (seriously, that was the plumbing situation...), so it'll be a little easier to deal with.
In crafty news, I've been working on a really adorable custom-order cake topper. It's not totally done, but it's getting there. It's two little vintage-white clay owls with gold gilding. I really love it. They're actually even way cuter than this in real life since they've since been gloss coated, so look like they're made of porcelain. It's been a fun project and I'm looking forward to handing it over to the buyers next week.
It's been such a great week at the cabin. It's been hot but beautiful, quiet, productive, and I'm quickly reminded of why I love this little shack in the woods so dang much. It's just such a fantasyland.
Orientation for the incoming Master's students started last week, and with it the annual calculus review workshop. SEVEN DAYS of intensive calculus. It's super fun, I love teaching it, it gets my brain all revved up before the real quarter starts, and is just kind of a great start to each year. The real deal starts next week with stats, and I'll be fearlessly (ha!) leading 85 new students through the course for 10 weeks. It's pretty exciting stuff, and Mattie and I are almost ready for it!
Otherwise, lots of progress on some really cool cabin and/or crafty stuff.
The bathroom crappy vinyl tiles are almost completely out (yaaay asbestos removal -- don't worry, I got a mask), we've been doing a little more cement repair work, the new tiles and pedestal sink arrived (who knew faucets were so expensive? wtf.), we're all ready to put the new toilet, and tomorrow I'm staining 55 gigantic 16' knotty pine planks so they're ready for wall installation next week. It's been mostly fun and just a little stressful trying to figure it all out.
Also, after probably 10 hours of scrubbing, the beautiful clawfoot tub is becoming awesome again. Not quite done, but it's getting close. You might be able to tell which is the Before picture. It's gonna be gorgeous again and I'm having a great time bringing it back to life. Plus, the drain from the washer machine isn't going to be running straight into it anymore (seriously, that was the plumbing situation...), so it'll be a little easier to deal with.
What else is happening?
The Neighborhood last Thursday to celebrate Adam's most recent tax deadline being done. Sam and Sara came up last Friday for an amazing night of food, drinks and dancing at Cold Spring Tavern. Saturday we had a friends BBQ at Adam's By the Beach -- with halibut caught by Adam himself! -- and swam in the ocean at night (a stranger reminded us that we were ignoring the "Shark Sighting" sign...thanks buddy). Tomorrow is the Bren School Reception to kick-off the upcoming year, followed by Goodland Happy Hour with Liz, then two nights of good music on both Friday and Saturday at Cold Spring.
I MEAN, IS THIS PLACE RIDICULOUS OR WHAT? Sometimes I sing the Lego Movie theme song about it.
Also, Greg is gonna be here in just two short weeks. Hoping to have the walls done and new slate tiles in the bathroom by the time he gets here, so it's time to get back to work!
Love from Paradise on Paradise Road,
Allison and Mattie the Construction Manager Dog


Esto es un bueno bloggo. Tienne mucho cosas que esta muy importante. Pero hay tan mucho de El PERRO DIABLO
ReplyDeleteChuey
Has the dog finally been dragged off to prison to pay for her terrible crimes? Or is she just in hiding, waiting for an unsuspecting victim?
ReplyDeleteAND WHAT ABOUT THOSE FROGS EH?
It sounds like awesome progress is being made on the cabin- can't wait t see it. The before and after tub looks great and the owls are cool too. Thanks for the shout out - we are doing well. Kevin might be a little jealous that Mattie Mae has earned the same title that Kevin has in real life!! Keep the photos coming!!
ReplyDeleteLove from the SD (soon to be Eagle, ID - with luck) crew!!
Your comments and portrayal of the owls is incredibly offensive to people who prefer lemmings. It is also racist, demeaning, hate speech, insulting to penguins and very tasteless with respect to the personal grooming habits of frogs. You should remove all your postings immediately as they are unquestionably highly insulting to a large majority of the public Never in the history of the world has anyone ever written anything so horrible. If you do not delete all of everything that you have ever done in your life, your parent's lives and your grandparent's lives as well, I will be forced to use my anonymous position as an internet crusader to spread lies and false gossip in order to make your life difficult.
ReplyDelete(Gerhard)
I don't think that such incoherent nonsense really qualifies as a BLOG. Where are the STOCK TIPS? Comments on the Kardashians? Helpful hints for getting the lint out of one's navel? I mean.......................excuse me, I have to answer my cell phone.........................No..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................I don't recall............................................................................ ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ten and a half, wide.................................................................................................................................................................................................Anyway, where were we, three w's in a row. Haunted.
ReplyDeleteMelvin
In all truth I think the phrase, "Ca plane pour moi" means, "Your dog eats babies"
ReplyDeleteMueler