Hi everyone! Suddenly it's 2018.
So, I didn't intend to take such a long break after my last post.
The break just kind of happened because, well, nothing seemed that awesome without Mattie. Even cool things didn't really seem worth writing about. Of course good things have happened in the 4 1/2 months since we said goodbye to our favorite girl - the canyons in Santa Barbara and the Sierras are beautiful as always, Greg and I spent some time in Aspendell, I saw family for Christmas, I got a lot of work done. I hiked sometimes. I caught a big fish on my birthday.
I don't know. When Mattie was here even stupid little things seemed hilarious and fun and easy to share with everybody. Without her I mostly felt sad all the time, and Greg and I were both wearing our "shitty goggles" - our imaginary goggles that made even the coolest things seem lame because Mattie wasn't here to share them with us - for quite a while. Like...months.
Slowly things started seeming cool again. The first thing that made me feel quasi-normal was when I found some great bear and mountain lion tracks on the trail behind the cabin. That was pretty cool. I started liking the gobbling turkeys again, and hiking, and I didn't just spend all day every day crying and watching Moana over and over. I had friends and family who let me drink a bunch of beers and talk about how much I missed her, and some who didn't even acknowledge she was gone but I could tell were still trying to get me out and doing things. People donated in her name and sent cards and were understanding when I just felt blue. I'm so grateful for all of it.
Saying goodbye to Mattie was every bit as awful as I always knew losing her would be, but as weeks then months passed eventually I did start feeling a little bit better and (people told me this would happen, but I didn't really believe them...) sometimes I even smiled thinking about her. Usually I was crying and smiling at the same time.
Through it, I wondered if I would ever be ready to get a dog again when nobody could compare to the legendary Mattie Mae. I felt guilty just thinking about adopting another dog. Like I'd somehow be betraying her if we brought another dog home.
In one of those talks Greg told me: "Getting another dog doesn't mean you loved Mattie any less." And of course he's right - because it was actually not humanly possible that I could have loved her any more - but sometimes when you're worn out you just need a person to say the words for you. Another wise person told me that adopting another dog would be the BEST way to honor her. Also true.
So, we started talking about adopting another dog, and we said "Maybe in May, or later in the summer..."
Of course, as it does, the universe told us to shut up via Andrea Stout (Mattie's foster mom), who the very next day sent me a Facebook message. It read: "Say....any chance you guys are ready to adopt another dog? If so, or if you are getting close, I think I may have the perfect (well, second most perfect ever) dog for you!"
From there, it was a series of conversations, pictures, online and phone messages, yesses, videos, plans, plane tickets to Fort Collins, breweries, cuddles, adoption papers and finally a signature - and here we find ourselves with a new best friend who we already love very much.
BlogVerse, meet our new family member Teddy.
I mean, TEDDY! (doesn't he just look like his name should always have an exclamation point after it? That's better...)
The first thing you will notice is that he's adorable and handsome. The second thing might be that he's missing half of his eyeballs.
Teddy was rescued from a bad situation in Arkansas (when found his eye was already injured beyond repair) and transferred out to Fort Collins, CO where he was placed in the care of Andrea and Sarah (the BEST DANG FOSTER FAMILY ANY CREATURE COULD EVER HOPE FOR) who would continue to care for him and love him as he went through multiple surgeries and ehrlichia treatment before he was OK'd for adoption. The shelters that made this all possible are wonderful Animal House in Fort Collins (http://animalhousehelp.org/) and wherever he was brought/cared for in Arkansas - I'm not sure exactly where that was, but THANK YOU. Oh man, thank you all.
He also had some wonderful foster siblings in Fort Collins - thank you Roo, Journey, Nikki and Gracie for welcoming Teddy into your home! We promise we'll bring him out for a visit!
Then just last weekend I drove out to meet Sarah (and Nikki) for a Teddy hand-off in Green River, Utah.
Just like that, Teddy and I were on our way home for on first of many road trips together.
Teddy's first petroglyph adventure!
After a night at a hotel in Crapville, USA (Las Vegas) we were back on the road through the desert and finally made it to the coast just in time to catch the tail end of a storm, heading up Highway 154 out of Santa Barbara under some light showers and beautiful clouds.

We met up with Julie and Elliot,
We still have everything to learn about each other, but for now we are just so happy to have him home. I get to wake up with him wanting to cuddle on the bed and it's impossible not to laugh. His legs are too long for him and his ears are too big and he's missing an eyeball.
He's nervous in some situations with strangers and he has a bark/lunge combo that's way bigger than he is, and it's going to take some work until he feels safe. We are excited to help him feel confident so that he can make fast friends with all of the great people he's going to meet around the mountains. It wasn't so long ago that a little scruffy-faced girl needed a little help and became the best thing in my world, so we're not discouraged.
Teddy is the coolest little dude with a big heart just waiting to be opened up, and we are so excited that he's a member of our family forever.
We can't wait to share these travels with you, Teddy.
Love from Teddy's new cabin,
Allison and Teddy the One-Eyed WonderDog
PS - Just 7 more weeks until Greg is done working forever, and we'll all be together in Santa Barbara/Aspendell all the time! It's going to be a good 2018.
Mattie was with us on our road trip, too.
So, I didn't intend to take such a long break after my last post.
The break just kind of happened because, well, nothing seemed that awesome without Mattie. Even cool things didn't really seem worth writing about. Of course good things have happened in the 4 1/2 months since we said goodbye to our favorite girl - the canyons in Santa Barbara and the Sierras are beautiful as always, Greg and I spent some time in Aspendell, I saw family for Christmas, I got a lot of work done. I hiked sometimes. I caught a big fish on my birthday.
I don't know. When Mattie was here even stupid little things seemed hilarious and fun and easy to share with everybody. Without her I mostly felt sad all the time, and Greg and I were both wearing our "shitty goggles" - our imaginary goggles that made even the coolest things seem lame because Mattie wasn't here to share them with us - for quite a while. Like...months.
Slowly things started seeming cool again. The first thing that made me feel quasi-normal was when I found some great bear and mountain lion tracks on the trail behind the cabin. That was pretty cool. I started liking the gobbling turkeys again, and hiking, and I didn't just spend all day every day crying and watching Moana over and over. I had friends and family who let me drink a bunch of beers and talk about how much I missed her, and some who didn't even acknowledge she was gone but I could tell were still trying to get me out and doing things. People donated in her name and sent cards and were understanding when I just felt blue. I'm so grateful for all of it.
Saying goodbye to Mattie was every bit as awful as I always knew losing her would be, but as weeks then months passed eventually I did start feeling a little bit better and (people told me this would happen, but I didn't really believe them...) sometimes I even smiled thinking about her. Usually I was crying and smiling at the same time.
Through it, I wondered if I would ever be ready to get a dog again when nobody could compare to the legendary Mattie Mae. I felt guilty just thinking about adopting another dog. Like I'd somehow be betraying her if we brought another dog home.
In one of those talks Greg told me: "Getting another dog doesn't mean you loved Mattie any less." And of course he's right - because it was actually not humanly possible that I could have loved her any more - but sometimes when you're worn out you just need a person to say the words for you. Another wise person told me that adopting another dog would be the BEST way to honor her. Also true.
So, we started talking about adopting another dog, and we said "Maybe in May, or later in the summer..."
Of course, as it does, the universe told us to shut up via Andrea Stout (Mattie's foster mom), who the very next day sent me a Facebook message. It read: "Say....any chance you guys are ready to adopt another dog? If so, or if you are getting close, I think I may have the perfect (well, second most perfect ever) dog for you!"
From there, it was a series of conversations, pictures, online and phone messages, yesses, videos, plans, plane tickets to Fort Collins, breweries, cuddles, adoption papers and finally a signature - and here we find ourselves with a new best friend who we already love very much.
BlogVerse, meet our new family member Teddy.
I mean, TEDDY! (doesn't he just look like his name should always have an exclamation point after it? That's better...)
The first thing you will notice is that he's adorable and handsome. The second thing might be that he's missing half of his eyeballs.
Teddy was rescued from a bad situation in Arkansas (when found his eye was already injured beyond repair) and transferred out to Fort Collins, CO where he was placed in the care of Andrea and Sarah (the BEST DANG FOSTER FAMILY ANY CREATURE COULD EVER HOPE FOR) who would continue to care for him and love him as he went through multiple surgeries and ehrlichia treatment before he was OK'd for adoption. The shelters that made this all possible are wonderful Animal House in Fort Collins (http://animalhousehelp.org/) and wherever he was brought/cared for in Arkansas - I'm not sure exactly where that was, but THANK YOU. Oh man, thank you all.
He also had some wonderful foster siblings in Fort Collins - thank you Roo, Journey, Nikki and Gracie for welcoming Teddy into your home! We promise we'll bring him out for a visit!
Below: Roo, Gracie, Teddy and Nikki (photos: Andrea and Sarah)
Nikki, Gracie, Journey (the beauty with the spot around her eye -
she's their blind and deaf wonder dog!), Roo and Teddy.
Then just last weekend I drove out to meet Sarah (and Nikki) for a Teddy hand-off in Green River, Utah.
Just like that, Teddy and I were on our way home for on first of many road trips together.
Somewhere in Utah:
Taking a break at Dino Cliffs:
Teddy with dinosaur tracks!
Teddy's first petroglyph adventure!
Fremont Indian State Park, Utah.
Hike break.
Running west to California.
After a night at a hotel in Crapville, USA (Las Vegas) we were back on the road through the desert and finally made it to the coast just in time to catch the tail end of a storm, heading up Highway 154 out of Santa Barbara under some light showers and beautiful clouds.
Welcome home to Paradise Road, Teddy.

We met up with Julie and Elliot,
and Teddy had so much fun hanging out with his new best buddy Khora the Husky!
They chased each other in the rain like wild things.
Teddy would come running back for treats every time I called him.
The storm passed and the sun came out in the afternoon.
We walked down to the riverbed and watched the birds
and schemed for future expeditions
We still have everything to learn about each other, but for now we are just so happy to have him home. I get to wake up with him wanting to cuddle on the bed and it's impossible not to laugh. His legs are too long for him and his ears are too big and he's missing an eyeball.
He's nervous in some situations with strangers and he has a bark/lunge combo that's way bigger than he is, and it's going to take some work until he feels safe. We are excited to help him feel confident so that he can make fast friends with all of the great people he's going to meet around the mountains. It wasn't so long ago that a little scruffy-faced girl needed a little help and became the best thing in my world, so we're not discouraged.
Teddy is the coolest little dude with a big heart just waiting to be opened up, and we are so excited that he's a member of our family forever.
We can't wait to share these travels with you, Teddy.
Love from Teddy's new cabin,
Allison and Teddy the One-Eyed WonderDog
PS - Just 7 more weeks until Greg is done working forever, and we'll all be together in Santa Barbara/Aspendell all the time! It's going to be a good 2018.
Mattie was with us on our road trip, too.
We miss our beloved girl so much.
We know she'd be very excited for us as we start this new adventure with Teddy.
We love you Matters.
We love you Matters.







Mattie Mae's the best, but, 'to TEDDY and beyond'! Shine on. Love, UK
ReplyDeleteAl - your posts always leave me crying - but good tears! We all miss Mattie Mae and she had such a good life with you and Greg. Now we are excited for Teddy's new adventure! He is the luckiest dog ever. We are so excited to meet him (we are also so jealous of Greg's retirement - congrats, Greg!!). We hope to see you all soon - maybe Easter??!! xo
ReplyDelete