Skip to main content

8/6 - The Portland Week

I spent last week in Portland with Christopher (see previous post), Bruce (Queen Jenkins) and Scotty (Flipflop) doing some serious spacing out with the Olympics (I love Tomas Gonzalez and his stupid little mustache), camping, biking and beer tasting around the city. We spent the first days relaxing, catching up on sleep, and enjoying the chickens and hospitality.

We spent a night camped along the Clackamas River near Bagby Hot Springs, and after a great dinner around the campfire, spent a few hours in the springs before a quick hike back to the car. Mattie even went, but didn't feel like doing much hot-tubbing.

Chris and Scott. Cozy.

Campfire on the Clackamas.

Mattie the Road Dog. 
That night we slept under more beautiful skies and pine trees, then got up early and headed back to Portland. A quick nap and we were on our way to ride bikes through the city with Bruce, stopping at a few breweries (Hopworks, Rogue, something else I can't remember...), playing some Scrabble, and riding back around Tabor before a mellow night at the house.

The next day was for more biking, walking, getting a new tire, and generally hanging out. We had a pizza feast with homemade dough and fresh veggies that we brought up from the farm, and hung out until early the next morning listening to the Avett Brothers and Townes van Zandt and probably RAM and other things that were totally amazing.

On Friday we were off again, saying goodbyes and thank yous to Bruce and Scott (see you soon, boys), and heading for the coast to take the 1/101 back south. It was a gorgeous day begging for a quick stop at Cannon Beach for a little trip to the sand and the bagel place.

The Goonies! Haystack Rock.
We headed south through pine trees and windswept cypress, winding along the Oregon coast. After 8 hours on the road, we finally found an open campsite somewhere around Oregon Dunes SP, had a big fire and way too many s'mores, and slept like two rock buddies. The next day we were up early heading towards the border. We took a few breaks for pictures, but Mattie was anxious to get back to her adopted home-state (yes, she's officially a California girl).

Rocks and clouds, somewhere in Oregon. 
Patience waning. 
We crossed the OR/CA border, saw elk on the north coast and weird people in Arcata and had a beer in Santa Rosa (I think?), and then the Oregon trip was over. I dropped off Chris, and headed back east on I-80, arriving just in time for Anni's 3rd birthday party in Reno.

Elk and the ocean, somewhere above Arcata. 
The birthday princess. Anni turns 3. 
It's been great seeing everyone, and it looks like I'll be in this area for the next 3-4 days (maybe some camping in the middle, I hope), and waiting to see Grandma and Grandpa when they pass through on their way to Ashland.

Even though she never complains, I think that Mattie is enjoying a few days of rest inside a house with carpet and out of the elements...and I just might be, too. Next week, back to the Eastern Sierra, with plans brewing for a long backpacking trip!

Love,
Allison & Mattie

Comments

  1. Hey friend! Looks like your adventures are as great as ever. Will you make it back to Mono/Mammoth soon? I could get used to seeing you every month!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment