Skip to main content

4/21: Road dogs.

This weekend, Mattie and I took a break from writing for a short (and much needed) trip north. 

I saw Yeti and Dad at Lindsey's wedding before rolling through Fort Hunter Liggett on the friendly late-afternoon yellow hills of Nacimiento-Fergusson - stopping to move a snake along the way, of course - on my way over the range to the coast. A few short miles south and I was at Plaskett, greeted by this crew who had magically gathered for Hayley's 30th birthday camping trip:



We played around our raging bonfire for the night, fell asleep easily under Big Sur stars, and woke this morning just as dense fog was lifting from the coast. After saying sad goodbyes to best friends, Mattie and I headed north to the poppies to meet Dylan and Jessie for the afternoon. Dylan has been landscaping this amazing property in Pacific Valley, which has become a relatively popular roadside attraction for drivers on the south coast. It really is a pretty stunning little distraction on the 1 - in case you needed another one. 



We ate lunch, checked some surf (at locations sworn to secrecy under threat of Murder by Dylan), and spaced out (surfing, painting, whale watching) for the afternoon.

As Mattie and I headed south, we could see the little whalies spouting alongside us. The zebras came out to say "hi," too.

The Pacific Valley whales. 
A beautiful, short, refreshing trip...and now, back to work. 

Love,

Allison and Mattie the Road Dog

Comments