Skip to main content

5/28: Soot Patrol and the White Fire Memorial Day

Hi everybody! 

Mattie and I have had a couple of wild days up here on Paradise Road. 

Yesterday, after a good morning of work on the lower part of Soot Patrol and a few other problems at the Brickyard, I came home to the cabin to clean for a Memorial Day BBQ with the usual gang.

Fun moves on the lower section of Soot Patrol. Turns out this was a fitting problem to work on for the day.


As I started cleaning, Mattie and I heard a few sirens roar down the road. So I kept cleaning. Then we heard more sirens. So I made some guacamole. Then I heard a helicopter, and I decided it was time to see what was happening.

A fire had broken out at White Rock Day Use area, about 1/2 mile from our little cabin, and within 15 minutes was already raging up the hills and through Aliso Canyon driven by gusty winds and dry fuel. The westerly wind was blowing away from us - you can see in the first picture - but the fire line still managed to creep over the ridge and inch our way.

They attacked the western-most fire line with Phos-Chek and water drops. From our little chairs on the hillside in front of the cabin, we watched the fire slow and die while hotshots dug fire lines and air support made hundreds of passes over the ridge. Mattie even made a video of one of the drops.

Early in the day. Aliso burning.

The western line was stopped, but the eastern edge of the fire ran up and over the hills - and my favorite trails - within what seemed like minutes. Throughout the afternoon it ripped through Sage Hill, Aliso Canyon, then crossed the ridge and looked to be destroying much of Upper Oso Canyon. 

Late afternoon. Aliso is toast. Upper Oso is raging. 

At night, we could see the glow of flames, and often huge flare-ups, on the ridge east of Upper Oso Canyon.



Another interesting, beautiful day at the cabin. Fires are important. And Artifact-or-Notifact is going to be epic once the trails open up...

Love,
Allison & Mattie

Comments